October is National Crime Prevention month where the Alexandria Police Department wants to stress to citizens to pause and consider how each of us can join the effort to help ensure a safer community. #crimepreventioniseveryonesbusiness
Preventing Crime Starts in Your Own Home!
You can help curb crime in your community by starting at your own front door. Here are some simple ways you can help prevent crime around your own home:
- Use your deadbolt. Keep doors and windows locked even when you’re at home.
- Secure valuables outside or take them inside.
- Don’t hide keys under your doormat, or near your door. That’s where criminals look.
- Leave outside lights on at night. Use a timer and motion lights.
- Keep your garage door closed. Secure the door connected to your home.
- Plant shrubs with thorns near windows and fences to deter burglars.
- Keep bushes trimmed so intruders don’t have a place to hide.
- Don’t tempt thieves by leaving out lawn mowers, barbecue grills, machinery, tools, and ladders.
- Consider adding an alarm system, especially if you live alone, are away often, or have a lot of valuables.
- Keep a detailed inventory of your valuable possessions, date of purchase, original value, and serial numbers. Keep a copy in a safe place away from home. Make photographic or video records of valuable objects.
- Educate your kids on security measures to stay safe at home.
- Use lighting and landscaping to deter break-ins, especially motion-sensitive light.
- Keep your doors locked—even when you’re home. This includes your vehicles.